Labels

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Tailgater's Frito Pie

Football Season!!! What is better than a good frito pie while watching the game with a great group of friends on a Saturday afternoon. TEXAS FIGHT! Not that I am partial or anything, we kind of have a house divided in our home. However because I did attend graduate school at TCU and Herc did undergrad and graduate school at  TCU he claims that his 6 + my 2 years of Horned Frogness tips the scales away from my 4 years at the best school on earth UT (well at least in Texas). I beg to differ because I know in my mind my color will always be burnt orange, it is in my blood. This particular weekend was Red River Shootout and for the first time in 6 years I was not in Dallas celebrating and going to the game/fair. However Herc said we would have people over to cheer on the horns. We had home-made corn dogs made by Herc, Frito Pie, Texas Trash, and Southwestern Eggrolls-posts to come. As discussed while eating them most of us LOVE frito pie just choose not to disclose it to everyone (not too lady-like). I use the chili recipe from my love PW. 

The team.

Plus these defensive ends.

Cook meat like normal.

Then add the tomato sauce, Rotel, salt, oregano, cumin, and chili powder. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes. Go paint your nails burnt orange right now to get you pumped up.

Then add the beans and stir it up (while singing the Bob Marley song, Stir It Up). I added some serano peppers in for a little spice. Then Cover again and simmer for another 20 minutes.

 Mix a little masa and hot water together.

Then add it to the chili. PW said to do this, so I did. I think it just kind of thickens up the chili and makes it not so soupy. I liked it.

Once ready to serve to hungry football crazed guests cut the side of the frito bag and open.

While serving we had a station of some diced up jalapenos, cheese, and red onions but was too busy enjoying to snap a photo. Just here is the finished product better look quick because it did not stay around too long.

 Although we were not at the fair to enjoy some chicken fried bacon, and a Fletcher's corn dog it was still a good day. Even though we got creamed.

Here is her recipe:

Ingredients
2 pounds Ground Chuck
3 cloves Garlic, Minced (optional)
1 can (12 To 14 Ounce) Tomato Sauce
1 can (10 Ounce) Ro-tel (diced Tomatoes And Chilies)
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Ground Oregano
1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
2 Tablespoons Chili Powder (more To Taste)
1 can (14-ounce) Kidney Beans, Drained And Rinsed
1 can (14-ounce) Pinto Beans, Drained And Rinsed
1/4 cup Masa (corn Flour) Or Regular Corn Meal
1/2 cup Warm Water
Individual Bags Of Fritos
Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Diced Red Onion (Optional)

Preparation Instructions
Brown ground chuck with garlic in a pot over medium-high heat. Add tomato sauce, Rotel, salt, oregano, cumin, and chili powder. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Add drained and rinsed beans. Stir to combine, then cover and simmer for another 20 minutes.
Mix masa with water, then add to the chili. Stir to combine and simmer for a final 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside.

1 comment: