Labels

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Cauliflower Soup 2 Ways

So I found what I thought was going to be this wonderfully delicious and not mention healthy cauliflower soup, man  reading the description of it I was drooling. I made it, and it was alright. This happens when I try to adventure with healthy foods, which is bad because it makes me not want to make healthy foods. I'll tell you how to make it and then what I did to make it better.

Ingredients:
1 cauliflower
2 carrots
1 onion
7 cups chicken broth
3 tbs unsalted butter
3 cups milk
4 tbs flour
2 1/2 tbs sour cream
1/4 tsp black pepper, 2 tsp parsley, 2 bay leafs (leaves?), salt

Chop up the onions and saute them in 2 tbs of the butter til they get a little color

Then add the carrots (they will be chopped of course because this is soup, and I assume your not an idiot and put a whole carrot in a soup). Saute for around 3 minutes until the carrots get a little softer.

Throw in the chicken broth, cauliflower, and herbs.

Stir, cover, and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and let simmer for 25-30 minutes.

In the meantime we are going to "thicken" the soup with the milk/flour mixture.... I didn't see it that thick but whatever they say. Mix the milk and flour with a whisk.

Melt a tbs of butter in a pan then pour in the milk/flour mix. Stir constantly over medium heat til it comes to a boil then stir for another 2 minutes.

Then add to the soup. Does it look super thick to you? Then add the low fat sour cream and some salt to taste they say... let simmer 5-10 minutes more.

And ta da you have watery lumpy cauliflower soup, yay for you!!!


Well, I make a Carrot Soup ("Crazy Soup") that uses a potato to thicken the soup, and since cauliflower kind of behaves like a potato pureed I thought maybe it might have the same effect, now THIS soup was good. Who knew all it took was a immersion blender and some more spices (a little ginger, fresh cracked pepper, and a tiny bit of fat free half and half).


Try both and let me know which you like better...


No comments:

Post a Comment