Labels

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Chinease Tea Eggs

I love eggs. Hard boiled, poached, fried anyway you can cook an egg I love it. I founds these beautiful eggs that are infused with the taste of black tea, cinnamon, and soy sauce and I just had to try.



Put eggs in a medium-sized pot with enough water to cover the eggs. Bring water to boil, then lower heat to simmer for 3 minutes.

Pull eggs out and let them cool a bit, to speed up this process you can run them under cool water. Don't get rid of the water from the pot.

To get the marbling effect use the back of a knife and slightly crack the shell all around the egg.

Then add 2 tablespoons or 2 tea bags of black tea, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 2 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons sugar, 4 pieces star anise, and 1 cinnamon stick to the water mixture.

Bring liquid to boil again, then simmer for 1 to 3 hours, longer for a more intense flavor and color, adding water if level gets too low. 

I only did around 1 hour, since it was my first time I didn't know how strong the eggs would taste. 

You can also tell because the color is not that dark. However they were delicious and next time I'm doing the full 3 hours. Eat them in the morning for breakfast or for a snack midday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment