Labels

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Hatch Chili Mac & Cheese

It's Hatch chili week at Central Market!!! One of my favorite times in the wannabe foodie life. We were off to the coast with a bunch of friends for the weekend so what else is easier for a big group than to make a casserole, a casserole of hatch chili mac & cheese that is.


Ingredients

  • 16-ounce package elbow macaroni
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1-1/2 pounds ground beef or turkey
  • 1 jar Cookwell & Co. Texas Two-Step Green Chile Stew Mix
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • 1 pound Velveeta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 2 teaspoons Southwestern seasoning blend
  • 1 (4 ounces) shredded Colby-Jack cheese
  • 2 cups canned fried onion rings, or bread crumbs

  • Directions:
  • Make macaroni according to directions, drain and set aside.


Cook the meat in the oil and drain

And then add the cheese! good for my tummy, bad for my bottom...

For the "southwestern seasoning" i did some chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, pepper etc.

Then add the green chili portion and the whipping cream, and melt it

I have to say if you don't make the mac & cheese this was the best queso I have ever had.

I didn't want to bake the whole casserole so for a little taster to make sure it was a good recipe, I whipped out a couple ramekins 

And put this guy in the fridge for the weekend, my friends aren't going to even know what hit them.

I wanted a little top off with a crunchy crust, but hercules and I had a difference of opinion on how this should be done...

The Faceoff:
Bread crumps (Hercules's pick)vs. Fried Onion Rings (my pick) 


Hercules is the hubby because he looks like this 
<- however he likes to think he looks like this -> 



Our little tasters were so yummy and definite affirmation that this was a good recipe, can't wait to cook the whole casserole!

No comments:

Post a Comment